John McFadyen Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland

A place to talk about anything relating to the Mac Pháidín surname and its variants
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
clanmc61
MDKA: John McFadyen b. abt 1765 Renfrewshire, Paisley, Scotland
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

John McFadyen Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland

Postby clanmc61 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:59 am

Hi All,

I'm looking for any information I can on this person my 4th great-grandfather, I've hit a brickwall. No Birth/place/date or death/date/place any help would be appricated.

Married Jean McGarvie born 26 MAR 1765 • Dalrymple, Ayrshire, Scotland the alternative record is 30 Oct 1791 • Middle Church, Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland. (proclamation only)

I have a Jean McGarvie in the 1841 census in the same street as the McFadyen's

Thank you,
Phil McFadyen

NicPhaidein
MDKA: John McFadyen, weaver, married Jean Renfrew in Paisley Sep 1806

Re: John McFadyen Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland

Postby NicPhaidein » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:10 pm

My ggg-grandfather was a John McFadyen, but he was married to Jean Renfrew also in Paisley. You mentioned that your John lived on the same street as his Jean. May I ask which street that was? I wonder if there was an influx of McFadyens from the Isles to Paisley at some point. They would likely settle in the same area of the town. We could see if there were other McFadyens living in that street in the 1841 census and in earlier ones, and maybe find some useful information.

Le slàn
Hilary

clanmc61

Postby clanmc61 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:14 am

Hi Hilary,

The street is Castle, Paisley.

Phil

NicPhaidein

Postby NicPhaidein » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:47 pm

I have since determined that John McFadyen and Jean Renfrew probably did not live in Paisley, but in Barony Parish, Glasgow, likely Kinning Park. I am still trying to trace the McFadyen line, so far without luck, although I managed to find GGGGGG-grandparents from the Renfrew side who were married in April 1741.

NicPhaidein

Postby NicPhaidein » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:56 am

I'm still finding clues about John McFadyen, the latest being that he lived in Calton, Glasgow. This area was known for the weaving industry and was outside the control of the Glasgow guilds at first. 1787 saw a big strike by the weavers, and a number of weavers were killed by government forces. John's wife died at 18 Clyde Street, Calton, in January 1855, so it seems they may have lived there after getting married in Paisley in 1806. All I can think about is the poverty they must have experienced during their lifetimes. However, things may have improved somewhat for the next two generations as I found out some relatives lived in Shawmuir or Bankhead Cottage (same place, just a name change) on the edge of the Pollokshaw Estate. Perhaps some of this information will be useful to other researchers in the Project.

clanmc61

Postby clanmc61 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:19 am

Hi Hilary,

I'm looking into your tree at the moment.
Your John and Jean had a son John born 25 March 23, did he get married? If so to whom?

Regards,
Phil McF

Return to “History, Genealogy and General Discussion”