Welcome to the McFadden Project message board!

A place to talk about anything relating to the Mac Pháidín surname and its variants
NicPhaidein
MDKA: John McFadyen, weaver, married Jean Renfrew in Paisley Sep 1806
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Welcome to the McFadden Project message board!

Postby NicPhaidein » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:29 pm

My Mum was a McFadyen. The furthest back I have managed to get is to my GGGrandfather, James McFadyen, who was a United Presbyterian minister in Patna, Ayrshire. He died 17 April 1882. I know his father was John McFadyen, a weaver, but I have no dates for him. He married Jean Renfrew (27 Aug 1783-24 Jan 1855) in September 1806 in Paisley. I am very interested in finding where theses McFadyens came from; I'm hoping from one of the Isles. Hilary

NicPhaidein
MDKA: John McFadyen, weaver, married Jean Renfrew in Paisley Sep 1806
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby NicPhaidein » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:16 pm

I have drawn a blank with my McFadyen forebears. I really want to know from which of the Isles they came, and when and where they settled. I think they went to the mainland of Scotland. Would it help if one of my brothers did the DNA testing? Hilary

Rob
Project Admin
Y-DNA Haplogroup: R-A10526
MDKA: Owen McFadden b. abt 1780 near Creeslough, Co. Donegal, Ireland

Postby Rob » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:52 pm

Jmeross

Postby Jmeross » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:01 pm

Hello, I am a female McFadden, Jayme Ross McFadden. I can trace my Mc Fadden family tree from the mid 1800's in North and South Carolina, next to Texas, Arizona and then California. My Grandfather and father were both James Ross McFadden. a GGG grandfather was Felix Mc Fadden. I have more information and will post in a few days. I am currently visiting Scotland and was lucky to visit Loch Buie in Mull today. I am hoping to find that golden thread that will link our family to Scotland or Ireland.

Macfadyen1994
MDKA: Myself,father,grandfather ect

Postby Macfadyen1994 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:59 pm

Hi folks my name is Connor MacFadyen my grandfather was from mull but moved to the mainland for national service I have traced my MacFadyen relatives back to the late 1780s my family moved back to island after my 3x great grandmother Catherine MacFadyen was sent to Glasgow to have an illigitimate child. My great grandparent Marion and Arthur MacFadyen are buried in dervaig. Any information would be great. Thanks.

Iris
MDKA: Great grandfather (maternal)

Postby Iris » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:31 pm

Co Antrim McFadden

My maternal grandmother was Minnie McFadden (Mary Ann) born Oct 1896 near Dervock, Ballymoney, Co Antrim, Northern Ireland. She was the daughter of William McFadden -see census 1911 Ireland.

My cousins and I have done substantial family tree work, but we cannot get back beyond William McFadden himself - due to the fact that there was another William McFadden similar age in the Dervock area, mine significantly resided at Drum(n)afivey, some two or three miles from Dervock village. The wives were Annie (confirmed as my great-grandmother) and Lizzie, who was not our ancestor. My family may have been Church of Ireland, then Presbyterian, the other McFaddens were mixed - father William Presbyterian, mother and children Roman Catholic. We would love to trace Annie McFadden by her maiden name, and know more about our great-grandfather's ancestry, if anyone has info.

The sons of William my ggf were James, William and Alexander known as Sandy, and the daughters were Minnie, Jeannie and Martha married to Gordon, Hickinson and McGrotty respectively.

Robert Walsh Fister

Postby Robert Walsh Fister » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:43 pm

First time for me on this site, just got approval this afternoon.
Anthony Francis McFadden, born 17 March 1805 in County Donegal Ireland arrived in the USA in the 1820's is in the 1830 Fayette County Census.
Anthony Married Rebecca Young, Rebecca was born in Ky in 1812. She married Anthony 1 Oct 1833 in Paris Ky. There were 4 children born to them.
John George McFadden my G Grandfather was born 7 April 1844 Married Charlotte Maria Hollins 8 September 1870 in Lexington Ky. There were 6 children born to this union.
Sarah Anna McFadden my Grandmother born 23 May 1875 in Lexington Ky, She married My Grandfather Robert Patrick Walsh 23 April 1907 in Lexington Ky, there were 2 children born to this union, My mother was one of 2 girls, her name is Mary Katherine WALSH 6 November 1909 born in Mount Sterling Ky.
John Patrick McFadden born 24 June 1934 died 11 Oct 2012 was the police chief in Lexington ky from 1980 to several years later.
Thanks to you all as I have Walsh & Stack from Kerry Ireland and McFadden from Donegal and there is the Davis & Hollins family's from Derby England.
Till next time.
Bob Fister

inishlady
MDKA: denis(my dad)wee dinnie(grandpa)dinnie(grtgrd)paddy(grtgrt)owen(g-g-g)

Postby inishlady » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:39 pm

Rob:

We may be related as my family is also from Creeslough, but much more recently. My parents came to the US in 1956.

I am from the "Dinny-Paddy-Owen" branch of the family. My Dad was Denis (b1926-d2009), his father was also Denis (a/k/a "wee Dinny"), my great grandpa was Denis (d1937 - a/k/a "big Donohue"), my great great grandpa was Patrick, and my great great great grandpa was Owen.

My grandma Grace McFadden's background has been harder to trace, but she was already a McFadden before they married.

If you would like more background information, let me know.

All the best,
Pearl Seafield

(Moderator note: e-mail address removed to cut down on spammers)

Rob
Project Admin
Y-DNA Haplogroup: R-A10526
MDKA: Owen McFadden b. abt 1780 near Creeslough, Co. Donegal, Ireland

Postby Rob » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:17 pm

missp1952
Y-DNA Haplogroup: m222
MDKA: denis 1820 barnes

Postby missp1952 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:59 pm

Dennis McFadden b 1820 raised his family in Lower Barnes near lough salt off of n56...catholic

Hi im a grandson of Julia McFadden (1897 - 1980) her father was Patrick (1866 1931?) his father was Dennis.

im trying to find out the relatives of Dennis, he named his son Patrick, and Patrick named his sons , Dennis, John, Charles , Patrick..

and there was a cousin named Owen who emigrated to scranton, pa, usa and worked the coal mines

any help is greatly appreciated

Bernard Charles Carr,
born Bryn Mawr Pa, usa , now Fla.

Return to “History, Genealogy and General Discussion”