McFaddens from County Cavan, Ireland in PA and OH

A place to talk about anything relating to the Mac Pháidín surname and its variants
lancecg
MDKA: Andrew McFadden
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: McFaddens from County Cavan, Ireland in PA and OH

Postby lancecg » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:35 am

I'm new to the board. I have the lineage of our family ... transformed to McFaddin from McFadden as a result of a spelling error when pardons were issued after the Civil War .. back to John McFadden b 1706 in Ireland. "Our" John McFadden was the son of Andrew McFadden, b. 1670-75 with origins in Garvao, Ireland. "Our" John immigrated to the Boston from Coleraine in the Derry District. He and his family arrived here on September 6, 1718. Our McFaddens ultimately settled in Virginia where our family's roots remained. If this information and lineage is relevant and/or of interest, I am pleased to share the information we have.

SusanFreasRogers
MDKA: Dr. Samuel McFadden
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SusanFreasRogers » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:50 pm

Hi Nancy,
Dr. Samuel McFadden is also my direct ancestor (my 4G grandfather). Looking forward to learning about what you have! I'm an admin of the Facebook group that Rob mentioned above and just approved your request there. :-)
Susan Rogers

tinatina
MDKA: Robert Jamieson - B1825 - Co. Cavan, Irealnd

Postby tinatina » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:58 pm

My family is part of the Mcfaddin/Jamieson line that stayed in Cootehill, Co. Cavan Ireland. My father, John Rutherford's, paternal 1st great grandfather, Robert Rutherford (B1824) married the widow, Mary Ann Jamieson (nee Gray), in 1864. Her husband, Robert Jamieson, whom she married in 1850, as was a miner, died after they had 5 children together. Then the widow Jamieson married John Rutherford, 1864, and they had 4 children together. We know the Jamieson's and Mcfaddin's were very close but we do not know how. I suspect by reading these posts that the relationship goes back another few generations to the late 1700's. I would love to know more. I also know there is a John Rutherford from Belfast, came down to wed Elizabeth Mcfaddin, in Cootehill, Co. Cavan, in 1836. We often wonder if this John Rutherford might be our ancestor as well. If anyone has any information regarding this, I would love to correspond. I would also love to get ahold of this book - The McFadden/Jamison Genealogy Book.
There are still Jamison's and McFadden's in Cootehill today as my father was born there in 1931, and knows them.

SusanFreasRogers
MDKA: Dr. Samuel McFadden

Postby SusanFreasRogers » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:03 am

Hi Tina, I'm going to give you my direct email address so that we can communicate more directly. It sounds like you are descended from McFaddens but I can't quite tell from your post. I could email you a PDF of the McFadden/Jamison book, or you could download it from the McFadden Genealogy - County Cavan, Ireland Facebook Group if you are on Facebook and ask to join the group.

My email is my first and last name all run together, lower case, and my name is Susan Rogers. It's at(@) nccn.net. I'm writing it this way so that spammers don't pick up my email from this post, sorry for the inconvenience.

If your father actually knows McFaddens still in Cootehill, we'd love to find a male to take a Y-DNA test, and I believe I could get the Facebook group members to help pay for it. :-) Perhaps you could ask your father? (I can see he's 87, so may not be all that familiar with the DNA stuff.)

Return to “History, Genealogy and General Discussion”