Co Antrim McFadden

A place to talk about anything relating to the Mac Pháidín surname and its variants
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Iris
MDKA: Great grandfather (maternal)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Co Antrim McFadden

Postby Iris » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:35 pm

Co Antrim McFadden

My maternal grandmother was Minnie McFadden (Mary Ann) born Oct 1896 near Dervock, Ballymoney, Co Antrim, Northern Ireland. She was the daughter of William McFadden -see census 1911 Ireland.

My cousins and I have done substantial family tree work, but we cannot get back beyond William McFadden himself - due to the fact that there was another William McFadden similar age in the Dervock area, mine significantly resided at Drum(n)afivey, some two or three miles from Dervock village. The wives were Annie (confirmed as my great-grandmother) and Lizzie, who was not our ancestor. My family may have been Church of Ireland, then Presbyterian, the other McFaddens were mixed - father William Presbyterian, mother and children Roman Catholic. We would love to trace Annie McFadden by her maiden name, and know more about our great-grandfather's ancestry, if anyone has info.

The sons of William my ggf were James, William and Alexander known as Sandy, and the daughters were Minnie, Jeannie and Martha married to Gordon, Hickinson and McGrotty respectively.

Rob
Project Admin
Y-DNA Haplogroup: R-A10526
MDKA: Owen McFadden b. abt 1780 near Creeslough, Co. Donegal, Ireland

Re: Co Antrim McFadden

Postby Rob » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:22 pm

Hi Iris. If your grandmother was born in 1896, it's almost certain that a civil marriage record would exist for her parents. Have you looked for William and Annie's marriage record?

Iris
MDKA: Great grandfather (maternal)

Postby Iris » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:18 pm

Yes, to no avail as we do not know where and when it took place and only relatives born since 1940s still remain to speak with. Normally the bride's church was the place of the marriage in our locality, civil marriage would have been really rare then. This is the missing link to our entire past, and the only untraceable marriage of our family.

Adasloan
MDKA: Thompson McFadden

Postby Adasloan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:00 pm

My 4 times great-grandfather was Thompson McFadden, born about 1815, County Antrim.
Married in Quebec, Canada in 1836 to Rachel Gamble.
I have not found any information about Thompson McFadden in County Antrim, except for his death record in 1896 in Quebec that said he was from County Antrim.

JGriffin
MDKA: Candour McFadden4

Postby JGriffin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:24 am

Unfortunately for the DNA information I am the wife of a McFadden who was the grandson of a female McFadden here in Texas by way of Tennessee. My husband knew his grandfather every well, but his DNA would be through his mother. Perhaps I can be of assistance by showing the migration patterns of our line. I certainly wish I could help more. When my husband and I visited Scotland and the Isle of Mull this past summer, we noticed signs for MacFaydens in several places. This intrigued me because we had always assumed our McFaddens were from Antrim, Ireland. However, in America the line married McKennons, so that may also be a connection to Mull and Scotland and McKennons. (We learned about Dram Buie! LOL)

The oldest ancestor I can locate for sure is Candour McFadden (b. 1710 Ballymena, County Antrim, Ireland...and d. 1775 Richburg, Chester District, South Carolina). I am working on proving his parents were: Robert Adams McFadden (b. 1690 Antrim, Ireland...d. 1740 Antrim, Ireland) and his wife Margaret Eliot (b.1690 Ireland)

The family "tradition" says:
"Three (possibly four) brothers came to America by way of Nova Scotia to Pennsylvania where one of them probably stayed while two, John and Candour, moved south to Chester District, South Carolina and settled.”

My husband's ancestor Candour McFadden helped found Fishing Creek Presbyterian Church in South Carolina and owned a small plantation there. I thought Candour would be an easy name to research until I found he had many children and each one named a child Candour in every generation.

So our migration pattern (if I combine traditional sources) would be Antrim, Ireland to Nova Scotia to Pennsylvania down the American coast to South Carolina to Tennessee (in the American expansion to the west) to Texas where six generations have settled. The reason for each migration probably was free land as America opened the frontiers. The McFaddens who came to Texas were very family oriented. Four generations received land next to each other and kept it in the family until only recently. Because of their family cooperation, they farmed a large amount of acreage.

I would love to connect with anyone recognizing this line.
JGriffin
KL2000G@aol.com

RebeccaKingAnderson
Y-DNA Haplogroup: R-M269
MDKA: Candour McFadden

Postby RebeccaKingAnderson » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:33 am

Candour McFadden b. 1710 Antrim is my 6th grt grandfather thru his daughter Mary McFadden who married Samuel McKinney. I've never heard they came thru Nova Scotia but makes more sense than early info that he came thru Charleston SC because in a transcribed bit of his now lost journal he described residing "above the Potomac" and his journey down from Charlotte (NC) to Fishing Creek SC.
Rebecca King Anderson
rand1271@prodigy.net

Return to “History, Genealogy and General Discussion”