Y-DNA Testing FAQ

Questions and comments about the McFadden Y-DNA surname project
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Rob
Project Admin
Y-DNA Haplogroup: R-A10526
MDKA: Owen McFadden b. abt 1780 near Creeslough, Co. Donegal, Ireland
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Y-DNA Testing FAQ

Postby Rob » Fri May 13, 2016 4:55 pm

What’s the deal?

The McFadden Project is seeking participants for the McFadden surname project at Family Tree DNA. Potential participants are men whose last name is McFadden, Macfadyen, MacFadzen, Padden, or any name thought to be derived from Mac Pháidín.

Click here to see a list of our current results:

Why only men?

The type of test used by surname projects deals with Y chromosomes. Only men have a Y chromosome, therefore only men can take a Y-DNA test.

How does Y-DNA testing help the project?

Y chromosomes are passed down from fathers to sons over many generations with relatively little change. This allows distant relationships between men to be proven or disproven by comparing their Y-DNA test results. As more men with variations of the Mac Pháidín surname are tested, we will be able to determine whether or not they share a common ancestor and, if so, estimate how long ago the common ancestor lived.

Is it free?

Unfortunately, no. Prices from FTDNA can be found here: . Please note that the price listed on the McFadden project page is lower than FTDNA’s normal price, so make sure you have the lower price when ordering. Also be aware that FTDNA occasionally offers sales that may lower the price further. I will try to post details on any sales via the blog.

*Anyone who would like to sponsor tests for others may do so here: .

How many markers should I test for?

This is a difficult question because the answer varies for each person. We would generally recommend a 67-marker test, but 37-marker tests are absolutely welcome.

Should multiple members of my family take a Y-DNA test?

That shouldn’t be necessary for the purposes of this project. Close family members will likely have the same results.

I’m not a McFadden, but I have a McFadden ancestor. Can I participate in the DNA project?

Unless your McFadden ancestor is along your direct paternal line (your dad’s dad’s dad, etc. was a McFadden), your Y-DNA results would unfortunately not be of assistance to this project. However, it would be beneficial if you have one of your male McFadden cousins test. And, if you’re feeling especially generous, you can sponsor a test for somebody else.

Why FTDNA?

There are other companies that offer Y-DNA testing and you are welcome to shop around. Results from different companies can be compared. However, FTDNA is currently considered the leader in this specific field. This site is not sponsored by FTDNA, but we’d love to be!

Ok, I’m in! What do I do next?

Head on over to and purchase a Y-DNA test. After your kit has been processed, you will be able to compare your results to other McFaddens. Thanks for participating!

Return to “Y-DNA Testing”